Claire Sandbrook
My Debtor’s Got a Bank Account – What Enforcement Option Can I use?
If you know or think your debtor has a bank account in his or her or its own name (this option won’t work for joint accounts) then a Third Party Debt Order can be served on anyone who owes money to a debtor, or holds money on their behalf. Normally this is the debtor’s bank or building society but it could be their employer or a professional advisor holding money in a client account.

The person served is usually required to freeze the bank or building society account but another person such as a professional advisor or even a debtor of the debtor, so to speak, can be made to pay you what they owe the judgment debtor.

This can be quite useful for example if a judgment debtor has money held with a solicitor in the solicitor’s client account, and you want that money to pay your judgment debt.

We will manage the entire process for you through our law firm – Shergroup Legal - so that all the technicalities are taken care of.

The debtor will be required to attend a hearing and send written objections to the court and to you if they don’t agree with the order being made. If the debtor’s bank account is frozen, they can apply to any county court for a hardship payment although this, in our experience, rarely happens.

A judge will decide if money in the frozen account should be used to pay the debt.

If you want more information or to check out any details you can contact us on all our open channels
We will solve your query and soon put you on the road to recovery!

Resources for this method of enforcement: